Ripple Effect is a free, weekly, after-school art class at the Batavia public elementary schools that focuses on integrating science, technology, engineering, and math with art. These classes have been generously funded by a grant from the Dunham Foundation and will be available from 2016-2019.
See what Ripple Effect 2016-2017 looked like below:
During the 2017-2018 School Year, the following schools will have Ripple Effect classes available:
- JB Nelson
- HC Storm
- Alice Gustufson
There will also be classes available for private and home educated children from Batavia this year.
By 2018, all of the BPS elementary schools will be included.
During this 8-week course, students in grades 3-5 will learn chemistry through paper marbling, geometry through tessellations, and aerodynamics through designing model hang glider. Both art and STEM vocabulary will be reinforced with each fun project. The classes are held at the schools, but the instructors are from Water Street Studios.
HC Storm and Hoover-Wood:
- Meets on Tuesdays from 3:45-4:45 pm
- Grade 3: September 12- November 7, 2017 (Skip Oct 31)
- Grade 4: November 14, 2017 - January 30, 2018 (Skip Nov 21, Dec 19, 26, Jan 2)
- Grade 5: February 13 - April 10, 2018 (Skip Mar 27)
JB Nelson and Alice Gustafson:
- Meets on Wednesdays from 3:45-4:45 pm
- Grade 3: September 13- November 1, 2017
- Grade 4: November 15, 2017 - January 31, 2018 (Skip Nov 22, Dec 20, 27, Jan 3)
- Grade 5: February 14 - April 11, 2018 (Skip Mar 28)
Private and Home Schooled Class at Water Street Studios:
- Meets on Thursdays from 5:00-6:00 pm
- Grade 3: September 14- November 2, 2017
- Grade 4: November 16, 2017 - February 1, 2018 (Skip Nov 23, Dec 21, 28, Jan 4)
- Grade 5: February 15 - April 12, 2018 (Skip Mar 29)
Students enrolled in the Ripple Effect are expected to abide by the following rules in order to maintain their place in the program:
- Respect for teachers, students, and helpers is to be given at all times.
- Loud or unruly behavior makes learning difficult for others and will not be tolerated.
- Attendance for the entire 8-week program is expected. Please do not enroll your child if there are conflicts with scheduling since there is limited space.
- Water Street Studios reserves the right to photograph all enrolled students and their artwork and use these images in promotional materials without the expectation of compensation.
Online registration for the upcoming school year will begin on Monday, August 21st at 9 am. Click the button below after you have read the policies and confirmed that you have no conflicts with the dates for your childs' school and grade.